E-mail tracking includes when you opened your mail, how many times you opened it, which place you were when you opened it, and much more. There is also a simple basic step you can take to avoid trackers: stop your email from automatically loading images since images are where the majority of these pixels hide. You won’t be able to avoid all of the trackers that can hide in your email this way, but you will stop many of them. How are emails tracked?
Pixels are one of the most popular ways to track an email. A small image, the size of a single pixel, is often attached to the email’s end. When your email client loads the picture, your email service must retrieve it from the sending server, this server can then log when your email service loaded the image to understand when you opened the email. Additional information, such as your IP address, can alert the server to where you were located when you opened the email. If you want to keep your email private, follow this guide on keeping your emails from being tracked.
- Log in to your Gmail account
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner to access your settings
- Select the General tab, in the “General” tab (the first one), scroll down to “Images.”
- Select “Ask before displaying external images.”
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Save Changes.”
Note that this will also turn off Gmail’s dynamic email feature, which makes emails more interactive.
#2 Apple Mail
- Select “Mail” > “Preferences.”
- Click on the “Viewing” tab.
- Uncheck “Load remote content in messages.”
#3 Android Gmail
- Tap on the three lines in the upper left corner.
- Scroll down to and select “Settings.”
- Tap on the email account that you want to work with.
- Scroll down to and select “Images.”
- Tap on “Ask before displaying external images.”
- Log into your iCloud Mail account.
- Click the gear icon in the lower-left corner.
- Select Preferences.
- Uncheck Load Remote Content in Messages.
#5 Gmail app (iOS/Android)
- Open the Gmail app on your device.
- Tap on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) in the upper corner.
- Scroll down and choose Settings.
- Tap on the account you wish to alter.
- Scroll down and choose Images.