Diabetes is a common but serious health problem that has assumed epidemic proportions around the world, and India is unfortunately the global capital for it. This ailment can lead to difficulties later if not controlled in time. A mix of medication and a healthy lifestyle can help manage diabetes efficiently. Consulting the best diabetes doctors in Mumbai can arrest the problem before it reaches a dangerous level.
Before discussing the ways of treatment and control, let us understand what diabetes is.
Diabetes- What is it?
When a person’s blood sugar levels are high, it is called diabetes. Insulin plays a vital role in managing blood sugar levels in the body. It is a hormone that tells the liver, fat cells, and muscles to absorb glucose from the blood. This glucose is then used to give the body energy. When the body already has enough energy, insulin tells the liver to absorb glucose but store it as glycogen.
There are two types of diabetes:
- Type I diabetes- In type I diabetes, the body cannot produce insulin, or it produces insulin in small quantities. This diabetes is an autoimmune disease where the body’s immune system attacks the pancreas, which produces insulin. This diabetes renders the body unable to produce insulin or produce it with great difficulty.
- Type II diabetes- In type II diabetes, the pancreas produces insulin; however, the body’s cells don’t respond. The body develops insulin resistance, and with blood sugar rising, it leads to prediabetes (a stage before diabetes) and type II diabetes.
You should consult the best diabetes doctors in Mumbai to accurately identify which type of diabetes you have.
Ways to Treat Type I Diabetes
Treatment for type I diabetes involves taking insulin through injections or a pump. In addition, the person needs to get their blood sugar and carbohydrate count checked frequently. In some cases, a pancreas transplant or an islet cell transplant can be done.
Ways to Treat Type II Diabetes
Type II diabetes is treated with oral medicines that control blood sugar. Insulin may be required instead of medication, or the doctor may prescribe both. Besides these, monitoring blood sugar levels and changing your lifestyle into a healthier one are effective ways of treatment.
Ways to Control Diabetes
Here are some ways you can control diabetes and manage to live a healthy life:
- Balanced diet
Eat foods that keep your blood sugar low but are nutritious. Your diet should cover all food groups to be balanced.
- Leafy vegetables- Leafy green vegetables are rich in minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients. They have a minor effect on blood sugar levels, making them safe to eat. These include spinach, cabbage, kale, collard greens, fenugreek leaves, etc.
- Grains- Among grains, whole grains are better than refined grains. They have more fiber and minerals. Fiber slows digestion, and blood sugar absorption remains stable with the slow absorption of nutrients. Whole grains have a lower glycemic index (GI) than rice and white bread. Lower GI has a lesser impact on blood sugar levels. Whole grains include brown rice, whole grain bread, millet, rye, buckwheat, and quinoa.
- Proteins- Protein-rich foods do not affect blood sugar levels directly and are good for managing diabetes. These include fish, lean meat, eggs, nuts, seeds, chickpeas, dried beans, and skinless chicken.
- Fruits- Fruits with high sugar content can be problematic. Fruits with lower sugar levels include oranges, peaches, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.
- Healthy fats- Healthy fat makes you feel full and are better than other fats. These include nuts, olive oil, seeds, unsweetened peanut butter, etc.
- Foods you should avoid- You should avoid or limit consuming these foods-
- Processed meats including salami and bacon
- Refined grains
- Fruits high in the glycemic index like pineapples and melons
- Sweet beverages like soda, energy drinks, and sweetened tea
- Saturated and trans fats found in pizzas, baked goods, fries, chips, etc.
You can visit the best diabetes doctors in Mumbai to understand which diet suits you.
- Physical activity and weight
To keep diabetes in control, staying physically active is essential. Go for regular walks. If you do not already do it, start with 10-minute-walks. Increase it gradually depending on your body and schedule. Do yoga, exercise, stretching, etc. You can also do exercises that increase your muscle strength. If you are overweight, try to reach a healthy weight and maintain it. Avoid crash diets or fad diets to achieve a lower weight. They can deprive you of nutrients in the name of losing weight and cause harm. Instead, adjust your diet and physical activity to have a healthy weight. It also applies if you are underweight.
- Avoid stress
Stress can elevate your blood sugar levels and worsen diabetes. Look for ways to manage stress, like meditating, deep breathing, exercise, taking walks, yoga, recreational activities, etc. If it is not manageable, consult a mental health professional for help.
- Regular health checks
Get your sugar levels, blood pressure, cholesterol, eyes, kidney function, etc., checked regularly.
You can manage diabetes well if you live a healthy lifestyle and take your medication regularly. Consult the best diabetes doctors in Mumbai for diagnosis and achieving control of your diabetes.
Read More Blogs: